Womens' Match Racing in Florida


I recently returned from a pleasant family visit in Sarasota, Florida. While there, I decided to take a little side trip to St. Petersburg Yacht Club to watch a little of the Rolex Womens' Match. A good view of the racing was afforded from the St. Pete municipal pier. The next round of Olympic yachting will see the introduction of match racing for women, so there is a lot of interest. The boat pictured is the one design raced in this regatta, the Sonar. Though unfamiliar to me, I thought it looked like a simple, smart, business-like racing keelboat. It was also probably the only keelboat at SPYC that I could have afforded. Others, I saw entering and leaving the mouth of the harbour were in the vicinity of 40-50 feet. It was neat to realize the real talent was on small raceboats, more fun to sail, and within the price range of most sailors.

Ralph, Montreal Sailing

Comments

Popular Posts